Mixed Metaphors About Television

>> 11 October 2009


The fall television series is well underway. While there are a few notable series that have not started up yet, I don't think it's too early to give you my thoughts on which shows are on the fence, making the grade, and getting dumped (I told you there would be mixed metaphors!)

Making the Grade:

  1. The Office - So far, this season has been very good. The second episode wasn't my all-time favorite, but the following episode (the one with the wedding) totally made up for it. Fans of The Office have been looking forward to this weeding for nearly as long as Jim (and longer than Pam)!
  2. Parks and Recreation - The first season was decent, but the current season has been hilarious. It took a little while for the writers to get the feel for the characters, but now that Leslie is less pathetic and the supporting characters are more fully realized (like the womanizing Tom and the tough-guy boss Ron Swansen), the show has new legs. None of the shows on my list has boosted its stock more in this season than Parks and Recreation, which has jumped from a 'probably not going to watch' to a 'high-five!'
  3. Fringe - I liked this show from the start, and it keeps getting better. For fans of X-Files, Lost, and other sci-fi/slip-stream television programs, you could do much worse than Fringe. Leonard Nimoy boosts the geek credentials with his role as the mysterious arch-scientist William Bell.
  4. How I Met Your Mother - Three episodes down, and this season is looking as good as its predecessors. Ted is still ostensibly the main character, but it is Neil Patrick Harris' character, Barney, who steals the show every time. It's going to be legend - wait for it - dary!
  5. Glee - It is completely over-the-top, slightly reminiscent of a Mexican telenovela, and extremely fun. The scene where the football team dances on the field literally me grimace, until I smiled, until I laughed. Who knows if they'll be able to keep this up, season after season, but for now, it's making the grade.
On The Fence:
  1. Community - Chevy Chase has not had much success since his successful days (you know, back when he had all the success...before he stopped having so much success?) and he doesn't seem to be breaking the jinx with Community. A good premise and a few hilarious early moments haven't been sustained in subsequent episodes. I'll give it a few more chances to prove itself, but the message for Community: get your ducks in a row or you ship has sailed and you are going overboard (mixed metaphor: check!).
Getting Dumped:
  1. Flash-Forward - It started with a cool premise and a very good pilot episode, but things have fizzled out fast. The dialogue is mostly expository and obvious - "We saw the future for 2 minutes and 17 seconds," and "Can we change the future, or are we fated to live the things we saw in our visions?" Compounding the problems with the show is the unexpected lying that the main characters do simply for the sake of enhancing the drama of the show. For example, the main character, a recovering alcoholic, sees that he is drinking from a flask in his flash-forward. His wife has told him that if he relapses, she will divorce him. When she tells him that in her flash-forward she was in a relationship with another man, her husband freaks out and can't imagine why she would betray him...even though he literally told us exactly why she would leave him, not 5 minutes before. Ugh!
  2. House - This was always a stand-by show for me, but I think I'm done with it. As it turns out, there is one interesting character in the show: Dr. House. So far, he has been in rehab, a mental hospital (as a patient), and he has quit his job as a doctor. No thanks. Note to the show: don't take the only thing that is interesting about your show and change it to something less interesting. CASE CLOSED!
  3. Hank - It took 5 minutes to convince me that this was not a funny show. The remaining 17 minutes of the episode were just confirmation of the show's mediocrity. I'll pass on this one.
What TV shows are you watching? Did I get it wrong on any of my reviews? Confused by the mixed metaphors?

5 comments:

Mary October 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

I agree almost totally completely, but not entirely. How I Met Your Mother and Fringe are wonderful and I've fallen in love with Glee, and I'm glad someone with sense thinks the same way I do about Community (which I've heard called the best show on TV).

My thing is, I can never again feel secure in The Office being consistently good anymore. Not since Season 4. I can't ever hope that it will be as good as it was it its heyday (Seasons 1-3), and if it's not going to be that good, then I can't call it good. It's just okay.

Christian and I have also started watching Modern Family this season, and it is hilarious. You can catch up on Hulu.

Noel Anderson October 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

I think the office has been great and Ashley and I absolutely love Glee (esp. the creepy butch gym teacher). I'm on the fence about parks and rec and community. one really good one you're missing is modern family. it has joined the office as one of my favorite comedies on tv. it's hilarious, esp the first episode.

CourtneyMarie October 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

1. Modern Family= HILARIOUS!
2. Totes agree with everything else EXCEPT Flash forward. I love it. I know it's really similar to LOST but I find it really intriguing! I'm hooked!!

Rich October 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

All I can add is that I watched the worst sitcom (in my opinion) every developed last night. I think this is its second season. It's the one with the geeks across the hall from the blond bombshell and how they interact, etc. I mean, I actually find the geeks really interesting but it's kind of trying to be a Perfect Strangers rip-off and doing a horrible job. Get it off the air!

Erik October 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM  

I agree, Joel. I also think that Fringe has gotten better. I don't know if it's just the subject matter, or what.

Glee is pretty dang funny.

Community seems to be turning into an average sitcom, and Flash Forward started out sprinting only to hit the wall after the first lap. It has potential, but it's not cutting it right now.

Now that I'm back in real life, and the TV companies and the Internet are cooperating with me, I've almost caught up with Lost... I'm wondering how they can make it any stranger. And how they expect to wrap things up this season.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));