Old Man Blog?

>> 21 April 2010

So, I recently completed a minor redesign of the blog (removed left-side column Twitter-feed, changed header, etc.), but apparently, my efforts didn't go nearly far enough. I submit, for your consideration the following online conversation that I had with Rochelle.

Rochelle: I really think you should ask mary to design something for you
me: maybe i will ask mary to redesign my blog.
     do you not like the design it has now?
Rochelle: it's okay, but i think you should hear her out. it kind of looks like an old man blog now
     who's out of touch with reality
me: WHAT?!
     WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!
Rochelle: that's my honest opinion
me: OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY?!?!?
     What does that mean?
     like a guy who doesn't know how to use a cell phone?
Rochelle: kind of
me: ouch
Rochelle: plus all the book reviews...
me: I am posting everything you say on my blog


Initially, I had two principle criteria for the design of this blog: 1) that it be simple and 2) uncluttered. But now I have added a third criterion: 3) that it not look like the blog of an old man who is out of touch with reality and complains about technology.

Questions for Discussion:

  1. What do you think? Does this look like the blog of an old man who is out of touch with reality?
  2. If so, what should be done to change this?
  3. Mary, what do you think?
  4. Do you even see the blog layout? I read most blogs in Google Reader, so I rarely see the actual blog.

6 comments:

Rochelle April 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

I almost always read your posts in google reader. I just happened to accidentally click on your blog link in your chat status when I was trying to open the chat box, and I was quite surprised at the Alaskan scene you chose for the wallpaper. It just doesn't seem very "Joel." Or very seasonal. Or very 20-something. Haha, of course I'm saying all this with a hint of sass, like always. I love you!

CourtneyMarie April 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

I literally laughed out loud while reading that entire post. Funniest thing i've read all day!

Melanie April 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

Haha. She has a point with all the book reviews ... but they are quite useful. Really really.

Erik April 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

I seem to remember that you labeled ME "Old Man." Are you trying to challenge my claim to that title?

Joel April 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

Erik -- I may have an old man blog, but you'll always be the oldest man!

Mary April 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

I want to preface this by saying that of course I would help you out with your blog if you wanted. I don't feel very confident in my skills, but I'd do my best.

But frankly, I think you have a very normal-looking guy blog. If you were a girl, then I might think it was a little under-designed, but guy blogs are simpler than girl blogs. And I think yours looks good {you can tell Rochelle that's my amateur opinion}.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));