Book Binge

>> 31 January 2009

This Christmas, I asked for books. I like reading and I also enjoy getting books, especially books that the giver likes, because that makes the gift a little bit more memorable. Anyway, between these books that I've received as gifts, some Barnes & Noble gift cards, and a few stops to Nice Price (Used Book Store) I am not the proud owner of more books than I know what to do with! In the past month the following novels have been added to my personal library:

  • The Emperor's Children by, Claire Messud
  • Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by, Dee Brown
  • The Savage Detectives by, Roberto Bolano
  • Beloved by, Toni Morrison
  • The Yiddish Policemen's Union by, Michael Chabon
  • Portnoy's Complaint by, Philip Roth
  • Underworld by, Don Delillo
I am currently reading Beloved, but once I'm done with this one, I'm afraid I'll be at something of a standstill. So, my question for you, loyal e-friends, is: which one should I read next? If you've read any of these books and can recommend (or warn against) them, that would be helpful, but if you haven't read any of them and just want to recommend a book based on whim or some other improvised criterion, be my guest in the comments section.

1 comments:

Kristin February 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I'm currently re-reading Ahab's Wife for probably the 5th or 6th time. The writing is just amazing. It's a hard story to swallow, I find it very raw. It is a woman's book, written from a woman's perspective, and as I woman, I connect with Una in many ways, both solid and abstract. I will be very interested to see if you, as a man, enjoy this book as much as I do.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));