A Concession of Sorts

>> 06 January 2009

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument
William G. McAdoo
A good basic rule of thumb is to never admit to a mistake and never concede defeat. No matter how overwhelming the evidence, the only way to ever truly lose is to admit that you've lost. Some examples:

Situation: I interview for a job which I don't get.
Losing Reaction: I didn't get the job.
Winning Reaction: I did get the job and I will show up to work on Monday.

Situation: Soccer game where my team scores one goal and the other team scores two.
Losing Reaction: They scored more goals than us, so they won.
Winning Reaction: The scoreboard is defective...WE WON!!!

Situation: I do not get accepted into graduate school.
Losing Reaction: My application wasn't good enough.
Winning Reaction: I did not apply to graduate school.

It doesn't really matter how irrational the justification might turn out. In fact, the more irrational the reasoning, the harder it is for anyone to prove you wrong. Case in point: e-blog war. So, consider this my concession speech:
I was never in an e-blog contest. There are no such thing as e-blogs. I don't believe in the internet. E-blog contests are like golf; the lowest score wins. There is no such thing as golf. I have never lost anything ever. The end.









Just kidding...you win Mary

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));