"Good Catch"

>> 04 November 2009

Here is a list of compliments that I frequently get, from the least common to the most common.

  1. "You are tall." I choose to take this as a compliment.
  2. "Those glasses make you look smart." Note the subtle difference between the use of 'smart' versus 'smarter.'
  3. "Good catch!"
I would say that my most widely regarded and appreciated talent is my ability to catch things that seem uncatchable. A few recent examples:

Last week, to celebrate Rochelle's successful dissertation defense, we went out to dinner to celebrate. As we were moving salad bowls around, trying to accommodate the main courses, my fork was pushed to the edge of the table and then...over the edge. The waitress gasped and turned her head. Rochelle grimaced in anticipation of the awful din of silverware on tile. I didn't have time to think - that fork was on its way to the ground (and accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s/s) - so I lunged to the side, stretched out my hand, and felt the cold metal tines of the fork (slick with balsamic vinaigrette) land gently on my palm.

"Nice catch," the waitress said. I didn't say anything (I save my self-aggrandizing for this e-blog), but I knew she was right. It was a nice catch!

Earlier in that same week, while in the break room at work, I caught a woman's bagel (already sliced and cream cheesed) when she knocked it off the table in her rush to answer her cell phone. "Good catch," she told me. I'm not sure if she ate the bagel, but she totally could have. I got it by the non-cream-cheese side, so there weren't even any finger marks.

I caught a guy's iPhone when he dropped it in the stairwell. He was on the steps higher than me, talking on the phone with his arms full, when the phone slipped out from under his chin, bounced off the rail, and landed safely in my hands on the lower tier of the steps. (See my representation of that event below)

Unfortunately, this talent hasn't translated to any special athletic prowess. I played baseball for a few years, but I was always a bit timid about getting under the high fly balls. I think this is due to the peculiar nature of my talent. I don't catch everything; my talent manifests itself in the only the most extreme circumstances - circumstances in which all hope for the falling object has been lost.

Anyway, there it is, my most remarkable talent. My second most remarkable talent is how clean my plate is after I eat. Seriously, it looks like it hasn't been used. I don't know how I do it.

Questions for Discussion:
  1. Which of your talents elicits the most comments from your friends and associates?
  2. Can you derive a concept for a superhero from your talent?
  3. Anyone want to challenge me to a drop-and-catch competition?

5 comments:

Erik November 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

1. My musical talents are my most complimented.

2. My super power would be to convince any person to do whatever I want... (wait for it)... by singing for them.

3. I think I didn't inherit the genes for the catch reflex. I acknowledge your superiority here, brother.

Mom,  November 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

You forgot to mention another one of your nice catches - her initials are SRM. :)

Erik November 5, 2009 at 3:08 AM  

Here are some real-life examples that occurred just tonight:

1. My friends and I played a show, and lots of people commented on our/my musical talents.

2. Because of the show, one of my room-mates was convinced that he should give me a ride home (he's a pretty nice guy, so he may have given me a ride anyway, but I say "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" (Mr. Kant, you're WRONG! The ringing chimes DON'T cause the hammer-stroke).

3. Mike, my bassist friend, dropped my tuner while he was standing next to me. I went for it. I missed. BY A MILE.

Mom,  November 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

What software did you use to make your diagram? It's cool!

Joel November 9, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

I used Inkscape, which is basically an open-source version of Illustrate.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));