Worst-Case Scenario

>> 17 November 2009


Consider the following exchange:


Tom: The forecast calls for rain this afternoon; do you still want to go to the baseball game?
Bob: I think so. Worst-case scenario: we get a little wet and we have to leave early.

How many times have you heard something like this? Worst-case scenario: we stop for dinner at Taco Bell. Worst-case scenario: you get a little rash. Worst-case scenario: I stay an extra hour at work.

The fact is that most of these supposed worst-case scenarios represent a serious lack of imagination. If the worst possible outcome that you can imagine for some event is that it rains at a baseball game, then you certainly have a rosy worldview. [You would also make a pretty lousy science-fiction writer].

So next time you are tempted to make a 'worst-case scenario' claim, consider the following:
  • Am I being chased by killer bees?
  • Did I forget to put on deodorant this morning?
  • Follow up question: can I smell myself?
  • Am I watching Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen?
  • Has a sink-hole opened up, swallowing the entire city?
  • Have my fingers fused together to form a sort of 'hand-paddle'?
  • Am I experiencing disorienting vertigo?
  • Is there no joy left in my life?
  • Are my socks wet?
  • Has the earth been subjugated by a cruel race of telekinetic aliens?
If you answered 'no' to any of those questions, then I would posit that you are not actually talking about a 'worst-case scenario.'

Now, there may be some kill-joys out there who complain and say, "Joel, when we say 'worst-case scenario' we don't mean the worst of all possible outcomes, just the worse of two outcomes, one favorable, one unfavorable (for example: rain at the baseball game, or no rain at the baseball game)." To them I respond: Not my problem. This is still not a worst-case scenario.

Questions for Discussion:
  1. What is the ultimate worst-case scenario?
  2. What is worse, a sink-hole or a tsunami?
  3. Or an alien invasion?

3 comments:

miriam November 17, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

I totally agree with you - watching Transformers 2 is the absolute worst case scenario.

Noel Anderson November 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

having your wrists slit and being forced to do push ups in salt water ranks pretty high on the worst case scenario list for me.

Erik November 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

I think the alien invasion gets my vote for worst of those alternatives. I don't know if it's really the worst case scenario, though.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));