In Which We Get Personal

>> 20 January 2010

From time to time, it is brought to my attention that the contents of my e-blog are not very personal. Rather than detailing the events of my life, I instead choose unleash upon the unwary internet a deluge of inane twaddle. So today, I've decided to get personal. I feel like I have reached a watershed moment in my life, a sign-post on the road to maturity and wisdom, a momentous point from which there is no return.

I have reached a point where I no longer pay for sandwiches.

This should not imply that I steal sandwiches, which I don't (besides, there isn't much of a market for stolen sandwiches so the resale value would be terrible), but rather that I try to avoid purchasing sandwiches in the first place.

The virtues of a sandwich - the reasons that they ever became popular in the first place - are:

  1. Deliciousness
  2. Ease of preparation
In fact, ease of preparation might be the most important factor behind the ubiquity of sandwiches. There are plenty of foods that taste better than sandwiches; however, the sandwich maintains its popularity because it is so easy to make. A sandwich is really only a small step above hot pockets in terms of ease of preparation. If you can follow two steps - 1) take two pieces of bread, 2) put stuff between them - then you can make your own delicious sandwich.

The last time I purchased a sandwich, I began thinking about what I was actually getting for my $7.50 + tax. What was it that made that sandwich so much more valuable than the sandwiches I make at home? Was it the toasted bread? No. I can toast bread. Was it the pickle wedge served on the side? No. I have pickles in the refrigerator. Was it the deli paper? Maybe. I don't have deli paper at home, although I don't think I would be willing to pay $7.50 + tax just to have a sheet of deli paper wrapped around my turkey club. Then it hit me: I was not buying a sandwich; I was buying laziness. I was paying $7.50 + tax because I didn't want to 1) take two pieces of bread, 2) put stuff between them. And that was it for me. I turned the corner.

I'm sure that I will buy a sandwich again at some point. There are some sandwiches out there that I cannot make conveniently: hamburgers, sandwiches with exotic ingredients which I am unlikely to purchase or have, etc. I might even buy a deli sandwich while on a road trip or something. But my days of buying sandwiches are dwindling.

Questions for Discussion:
  1. What is your favorite kind of sandwich?
  2. Have you ever had pastrami on rye?
  3. Keeping that pastrami on rye sandwich in mind, would you like to change your answer to question #1?

4 comments:

Mary January 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

I buy the occasional sandwich only for the bacon factor. When you buy a sandwich, adding bacon usually costs an additional 50 cents. When you make a sandwich, adding bacon costs an additional 15 minutes.

I like all kinds of sandwiches, but my favorite sandwiches, in order of preference, are: BLT, roast beef, and tuna.

kelley January 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

I love sandwiches. Especially when made by someone else. They always taste better. I'm a sucker for a good store-bought sandwich. With the exception of Subway, it's the culinary circle of hell.

Favorites: Jersey Mike's #8. Philly cheese steak. Roast beef from Jimmy Johns. Or anything that integrates avocado and has really tasty bread.

Pastrami freaks me out.

claireb January 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM  

Here in Holland, a sandwich consists of 2 slices of bread - buttered, with cheese in between. My sandwiches were soon recognized and called "Claire's healthy sandwiches" because of the lettuce value to it. For a while I had a business of my own going for my colleagues... I'd make them a "healthy sandwich" and they'd give me 2 Euros.

Noel Anderson January 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

I consider myself to be somewhat of a sandwich connoisseur. My favorite sandwich has always been some version of the Club (here you get 3 pieces of bread instead of two, not to mention 4 toothpicks with colored plastic). The Food Factory in Cary has the best club sandwich followed by the Kinston Country Club Grill Room's club.

After the Club, I'm a sucker for a good Philly Cheesesteak and Fat Philly's in Holly Springs has the best around. They actually import all their ingredients from Philadelphia. The Philly Cheesesteaks at the Carolina Panthers games are also amazing.

I would definitely pay $7.50 plus tax for any of the sandwiches listed above (and I have too many times to count), but I don't think I'd ever pay that much for anything on rye bread. I can't stand it (sorry Joel).

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));