New Year's Resolutions

>> 08 January 2010

The beginning of a new year is the perfect opportunity to reflect on the past year in order to evaluate what you have accomplished and what you would like to improve about yourself. Often, in an effort to make the coming year better than the previous, we make New Year's Resolutions - goals and objectives which will help transform us into the people that we want to be.

This year, I have come up with many New Year's Resolutions. Two of them apply to me, and the rest are resolutions that I have for other people - things which I believe will make 2010 the best year yet. So, without any further delay, here are my New Year's Resolutions:

  • Keep the novel-in-progress on track by writing every weekday, even if only for a few minutes. (Me)
  • Exercise for 30 minutes, three times per week. (Me)
  • Perform a concert in Raleigh, NC. (Radiohead)
  • Begin prototype development for Terra-formed moon colony. (NASA)
  • Amazon Kindle price drops to $150. (Amazon)
  • Remind us what it felt like to laugh! (30 Rock)
  • DIE! (sharks, mosquitos)
  • Keep on working your burrito magic! (Dos Taquitos, Baja Burrito, Chipotle)
  • Don't disappoint me. (LOST!)
  • Unscheduled pay raise (My Employer)
  • Release another album (Grizzly Bear)
  • Win the World Cup (US Men's National Team)
  • Write another book (Michael Chabon, Cormac McCarthy, Jonathan Safran Foer)
  • Use more semi-colons; they are a great punctuation mark! (Everyone)
I will likely add to this list as the year goes on; however, I think this list represents a pretty good start. I hope that I will be able to accomplish all of my goals; I know it will be a challenge!

Questions for Discussion:
  1. What are your New Year's Resolutions?
  2. Do you have New Year's Resolutions for someone other than yourself? If so, what is the resolution and who is it for?
  3. Can you dunk a basketball?

3 comments:

Carla January 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

ha ha i really like this assigning new year's goals to others... i'm definitely going to adopt this tradition.

Mary January 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

When I took a grammar class in college (easily my favorite class), my teacher said that we should limit our use of semi-colons because they were pretentious; however, I will commit to using them more often.

Goals for myself: read 30 books, paint the house, have more energy.

Goals for others: learn how to drive (idiots who give me road rage).

Kasey,  January 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Hey joel; I saw on facebook that you were blogging and couldn't wait for the link to come up; you did not disappoint. I'm especially intrigued with the novel-in-progress.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));