Twilight...BLEH!

>> 05 September 2008


Unless you live in a cave (or unless you are a very well-informed cave-dweller) then you know about Twilight.  These books have become a huge sensation, reminiscent of the Harry Potter Series.  There are four books in total: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.  And while I have not read all four, I have read the first one and am now stuck with the question: WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?!

At the risk of offending anyone who likes the book, I have a few issues to discuss.
  1. The first two-hundred pages of the book can be summarized in one sentence.  "Bella moves to a new town and meets a very good looking boy named Edward, who acts very strangely around her, leading her to fear that Edward dislikes her."  NO JOKE!  It takes two-hundred pages to say this!  The last one-hundred pages are decent - they tell about how this super-vampire (he's a "tracker" so watch out!) tries to eat Bella and fails - but a three hundred page book should have more than one hundred pages of story!
  2. This book was written for middle school girls, but it sounds like it was written by a middle school girl.  Here is a typical scene:
"Edward," she said, staring up into his too-perfect eyes.  "Promise me you'll never leave."
Edward grimaced and said, dangerously, "I shouldn't be here.  I shouldn't be talking to you.  This is too dangerous."  He smiled dazzlingly.  "I would never forgive myself if something happened to you," he said threateningly.
She gazed longingly at his body; he was like a greek god.  "But I love you," she said, enigmatically.
He didn't answer, he just got in his too-perfect Volvo and drove away at a speed of 200 mph.
Bella flushed with rage.  She couldn't speak.  She shook her hands angrily.  "I love you," she said tenderly as he drove away.  "And I always will," she said ominously.  "Until the day I die," she said, even more ominously than before.


My point is this - I wouldn't be suprised if Cormac McCarthy
 ate a bowl of alphabet soup and barfed up writing better than this!  And I'm not a book-snob.  I loved Harry Potter.  I liked the Da Vinci Code.  I'm not some guy who only likes James Joyce (pictured with eye-patch).  But I have my standards and Twilight is almost unreadable.

3.  I can't believe Edward doesn't bite her and turn her into a vampire like she wants him too.  That was extremely lame and was only done so that she could have a reason to keep writing books and making more money.  I don't have a problem with her making money, but when she RUINS her story just to cash in on the franchise a little more, I think there's a problem.  (Spoiler Alert).

SO...I'd be happy to hear from any fans of Twilight who can tell me why I'm wrong.  Maybe the next books are better; maybe they are "too-perfect" (Stephanie Meyer's favorite vacuous adjective).  But I just don't see what the fuss is about.

3 comments:

Vlazny's September 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

I have not read any of these books, however I have read many reviews and know many enthusiastic fans. As a teacher of literature, writing, and reading, I can honestly say that I got bored reading reviews. I soundly agree with your criticism. I'm just glad I am not the only one.

Noel Anderson September 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

can we just stop people from writing any books about wizards, ghosts, vampires, hobbits, etc. it's lame!!! use your imagination and imagine something that could actually happen!!! Losers!

just so everyone understands, i have not read these stupid books, nor do i plan to.

Rich September 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

Joel - thank you. I read the first Twilight a few weeks ago and after about the 100th description of Edward's perfect features, the book just got tired.

It does have some interesting elements and the storytelling is good - when she sticks to storytelling. The over-emo junk writing just fills way too much space and clutters and otherwise decent story. I'm reading the second book now, and it is unfortunately more of the same.

Is this what women readers like? Overly melodramatic emo?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));