Sundries and Such

>> 09 February 2010

Lots of things to blog about. No time for full paragraphs. Let's get down to it:

  • Re: LOST! season premiere last week. The 2 hour episode was pretty good but included what has got to be the worst scene I have ever seen on any television program ever, in which a dying character says: "There's something really really really important that I need to tell you before I die..." and then the character dies. On the other hand, in true LOST! fashion, there was a pretty good amount of pistol whipping going on.
  • Re: Catchy songs. Bill Callahan's 2009 release, Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle is as excellent as its title is cumbersome. Here's a song from it. I love how the last phrase of the song gradually gets completed over the course of the repeated chorus: "If you could only stop your heart beat for one heart beat." I guess it doesn't make tons of sense, but it's still a pretty great song.


  • Re: Books. I've been flying through the books lately; I'm finishing up my seventh book of 2010 (The Savage Detectives, by Roberto Bolano), although some vacation days and a snowy weekend helped and I doubt that I can maintain this pace through the rest of the year. Anyway, I am not bragging - I know that most of you know how to read - but rather, I am trying to explain the recent profligacy of book reviews on this e-blog. In fact, the only reason that there aren't more of them is that I don't get the sense that they are too popular with the readers of this e-blog, so I'm trying not to alienate the people who keep me company on this little corner of the Internet.
  • Re: 'Internet.' Turns out that this word is supposed to be capitalized. Apparently it is a proper noun. I would never have guessed. Also spelling related: is there a word that is harder to spell than 'occasion?' I swear, this word is insane. Why would you have two C's and only one S? That is totally backwards. If you are going to have two of any letter, it should be S.
  • Re: iPad. I'm not going to buy one. Although, in fairness, I might not be the target market. After all, my cell phone is still only that: a cell phone. I can call and text and that's it.
Questions for Discussion:
  1. Do you watch LOST!? If so, what do you think of the season so far (please avoid spoilers insofar as it is possible to talk about LOST! without spoilers)?
  2. Bill Callahan: thumbs up or thumbs down?
  3. Do you hate reading my book reviews? Give it to me straight Intranet!
  4. Will it always be the lower-case internet to you?
  5. iPad: discuss.

5 comments:

claireb February 10, 2010 at 4:23 AM  

Don't give up, or decrease the amount, of your book reviews Joel. I like them... and I'm on a completely opposite corner of the internet (or at least I'm farther away).

Rich February 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Yes, definitely on LOST. I'm mixed about the season opener, though I think they have done a solid job of transitioning some of the larger questions left over from last season. Still, the fact that "it worked" does not really please me.

Yes - thumbs up on Bill Callahan, great voice - I'm a sucker for these folk type songs

Love the book reviews

Upper case Internet :)

iPad is kind of cool, but really just a large version of an iPhone to me. I think it is likely far superior to any of the netbooks out there, as long as you don't need a full OS.

Mary February 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

I have to keep reminding C$ that he actually does enjoy watching LOST, because he's been getting frustrated. Mostly because no questions have been answered yet; there are only more questions. And almost nothing happened in last night's episode; the appearance of a certain character at the very end didn't make for the fact that everything was more obnoxiously mysterious than ever.

I'm interested in your book reviews; I don't know if you get or read those {sometimes annoying} updates from Goodreads in your e-mail, but I've added some of the books you've read to my to-read list based on your reviews. C$ has read books based on your reviews also.

I always spell it Internet.

kelley February 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

LOST- Yes. The opener was just the amount of confusion and entertainment to be expected from the show. Although, if I hear another person state the completely overused, never-funny, joke of "Now I'M really lost!", I might hit someone.

I enjoy the book reviews. I tend to value a guy's book review higher than a woman's because I think guys in general are harder to please when it comes to books. If you start reading Nicholas Sparks though, I will probably change my mind about that.

The iPad looks like a giant iPhone. It reminds me of those giant oversized calculators, which look silly. Therefore the iPad looks silly.

mary February 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

None of your questions were about spelling, but I will say - I think vacuum is a very hard word to spell. I know there are 2 u's, but I always want to give it 2 c's too.

I don't see how LOST is possibly going to answer all the questions that they need to before the end of the season.

And I like the book reviews - I'm trying to read more and sometimes need some ideas on what to read.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));